Your wish is my command…here’s the recipe for the bramble and apple crumble cake.
I’ve already passed it on to a couple of friends who requested it and they’ve had much success with it. I hope you do too.
For the cake mixture:
150g softened butter
150g caster sugar
3 large eggs
75g plain flour
1½ tsp baking powder
110g ground almonds
2 or 3 eating apples – or more to your taste – peeled, cored and cut into thin slices
For the topping
100g plain flour
110g Demerara sugar
2 tbsps whole rolled oats, or more if you like a more oaty topping
- Line a 20cm spring-form cake tin. Preheat the oven to 180o/gas 4.
- Make the cake:
- Cream the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Break the eggs into a bowl and beat lightly with a fork, then add them little by little to the butter and egg sugar, beating well between each addition.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder together and gently fold into the butter mixture.
- Gently fold the almonds into the mixture.
- Spoon the mixture into the cake tin and smooth the top.
- Top the mixture with apple slices and blackberries, pressing them into the mixture slightly
- Make the crumble:
- Rub the butter into the flour, then stir in the sugar and oats. Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the top of the cake. Sprinkle with caster sugar for a crunchy top if desired.
- Bake in the oven for about an hour until a skewer pushed into the cake comes out clean (it will be slightly wet from the fruit but will have no cake mixture on it).
- Leave to cool.
I have to admit that this isn’t an original recipe…but sadly I have no idea of the original source.
If this is your recipe please let me know and I’ll be happy to give you the credit you so richly deserve.